- abt 2 tablespoons butter
- 750g dessert apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- punnet of blueberries or blackberries
- 100g soft sugar either brown or natural
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 packets trifle sponges, broken apart
- 300g packet toffee sauce
- 100g pecans broken or chopped
- 500g custard either good quality vanilla or homemade
- 500 g whipping cream, whipped
melt butter in a large frying pan, add the apple slices and saute until slightly softened. Add sugar, freshly ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg, Cook until apples are almost tender, add the blueberries or blackberries, total 10 to 15 minutes. Allow this to cool
Arrange broken sponge pieces in the bottom of a trifle bowl, spoon over a quarter of the apple mixture, including juices, drizzle with toffee sauce, sprinkle with nuts, then cover with custard and the whipped cream, continue the layers ending with a layer of whipped cream.
Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
Just before serving drizzle with toffee sauce and nuts